qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/1] Execute arbitrary QMP commands from command l

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 1/1] Execute arbitrary QMP commands from command line
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:20:50 +0000

* Markus Armbruster (address@hidden) wrote:
> "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > * Eric Blake (address@hidden) wrote:

> We have a general rule for QMP: no syntax embedded in string arguments,
> use JSON.

> The HMP equivalent may or may not be needed.  If we decide we want it,

I treat HMP as important as QMP, I don't break it or lose functionality on it.

> reusing the command line's parser there probably makes more sense than
> inventing yet another syntax.

> >> No, it would be more like the blockdev-add interface, where one command
> >> accepts a dictionary object containing a union of valid values, where
> >> the set of valid values is determined by the discriminator field.
> >> .args_type = "options:q".
>
> Note that blockdev-add has wraps its arguments rather inelegantly: it
> takes a single argument 'options' of union type 'BlockdevOptions'.
> Because of that, you have to write
>
>     "arguments": { "options" : { ... } }
>
> instead of just
>
>     "arguments": { ... }
>
> I'd love to get that cleaned up, but Kevin is already worrying about
> backwards compatibility.  He has a point in theory, because we neglected
> to mark blockdev-add as unstable.  I have a point in practice, because
> blockdev-add hasn't been usable for real work (as some of our poor users
> discovered the hard way) due to numerous restrictions we're still busy
> lifting.  Anyway, I digressed, back to the topic at hand.
>
> > What causes the parser to generate a 'BlockdevOptions' as opposed to any
> > standard options type for the parameter of qmp_blockdev_add?
>
> qmp-commands.hx is a relict.  It's still around because we still haven't
> completed the conversion of QMP to QAPI.  We suck :)
>
> The QAPI schema defines QMP commands.  The marshalling / unmarshalling
> code mapping between QMP the text protocol and actual QMP command
> handlers written in C gets generated from the schema.
>
> docs/qapi-code-gen.txt explains this.  A much improved version is
> sitting in Eric's queue[*].  Perhaps Eric can provide a pointer to his
> current version.
>
> qmp-commands.hx duplicates some of the schema information, partly in
> dumbed down form, and adds a bit more.

OK, to summarise how I'm hearing things so far:
  a) We want this as a QMP command
  b) With nice structured json arguments
  c) But the QMP parser is broken and the example that Eric wants me
     to follow isn't pretty.

Am I missing something from that? Because at the moment I seem to
be walking into a minefield of QMP parsers to add a simple bit
of migration functionality.

Dave