qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] vm live storage migration with snapshots

From: Edward Young
Subject: [Qemu-devel] vm live storage migration with snapshots
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 11:08:19 -0600

Hi all,

I'm investigating the ways to improve the live migration performance in libvirt. I have a question about the vm live storage migration. the platform is libvirt + qemu + kvm

If we want to migrate a running vm with its virtual disk images to another node.
we can use 'virsh migrate ....' commands.

What if this vm has a number of disk-only external snapshots? In the current version, how can live migrate this vm?

Is it possible to blockcommit the snapshots to the base image and later perform the migration, without shutting down the running vm?

Or is it possible to iteratively transfer all the snapshots to the destination and later live migrate only the latest new data?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Ed