qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio-blk-test failure

From: Marc Marí
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio-blk-test failure
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 23:35:30 +0100

El Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:22:57 -0500
John Snow <address@hidden> escribió:
> I've been seeing this failure pop up very occasionally and I can
> usually get the test to pass again by just re-running, but every now
> and again:
>
> GTESTER check-qtest-x86_64
> blkdebug: Suspended request 'A'
> blkdebug: Resuming request 'A'
> main-loop: WARNING: I/O thread spun for 1000 iterations
> main-loop: WARNING: I/O thread spun for 1000 iterations
> **
> ERROR:/home/bos/jhuston/src/qemu/tests/libqos/virtio.c:91:qvirtio_wait_queue_isr:
>
> assertion failed: (g_get_monotonic_time() - start_time <= timeout_us)
> GTester: last random seed: R02S3ba253e130ac76bbcb0bade0a2d54b2f
> [vmxnet3][WR][vmxnet3_peer_has_vnet_hdr]: Peer has no virtio
> extension. Task offloads will be emulated.
> make: *** [check-qtest-x86_64] Error 1
>

> I wrote a test loop that runs virtio-blk-test over and over again in
> a loop and saw it fail after 137 runs.
>
> It looks like the culprit is /virtio/blk/pci/msix; if you run only
> that test it could take anywhere from 20-250 runs before you see it
> fail.
>
> I only did a little bit of debugging, but the QMP command that
> immediately precedes the wait_config_isr call here appears to execute
> successfully.
>
> Any hunches, Marc?

This is very similar to the one that took back the virtio MMIO patch.
And the reason is the same, although nobody reported it:

test/libqos/virtio-pci.c:162

    data = readl(dev->config_msix_addr);
    writel(dev->config_msix_addr, 0);
    return data == dev->config_msix_data;

If my memory is correct, this write is acking the interrupt. But it is
always acking, without checking first what was read. There might be a
race condition there.

Tomorrow I'll send a patch.

Thanks
Marc