qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] mfocrf missing on e500v2

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] mfocrf missing on e500v2
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 17:20:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015, Alexander Graf wrote:

> I've finally managed to check out why my e500v2 automated tests fail to
> run. Apparently they break because autotest wants to execute target code
> and runs into an illegal instruction while doing that:
>
> Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
> 0xb57c84cc in ?? ()
> (gdb) x /i $pc
> => 0xb57c84cc:        mfocrf  r0,1
>
> And lo and behold, I really couldn't find any reference to mfocrf in the
> e500v2 spec.

 Do real e500 processors trap on this operation as well?  Here's what
the Power ISA [1] says on the mtocrf and mfocrf instructions:

"These forms of the mtcrf and mfcr instructions are intended to replace
the old forms of the instructions (the forms shown in page 102), which
will eventually be phased out of the architecture. The new forms are
backward compatible with most processors that comply with versions of
the architecture that precede Version 2.00.  On those processors, the
new forms are treated as the old forms.

"However, on some processors that comply with versions of the
architecture that precede Version 2.00 the new forms may be treated as
follows:

mtocrf: may cause the system illegal instruction error handler to be
        invoked

mfocrf: may place an undefined value into register RT"

So it looks to me like the ISA, for its extension, relies on partial
instruction decoding here.

 Furthermore both the opcode and the extended opcode are the same for
each of mtcrf/mtocrf and mfcr/mfocrf, and the instructions within these
pairs only differ by the value of a single bit within a field used for
RA by operations that use it.  That bit is specified as reserved (/) for
mtcrf/mfcr by e500 processor documentation [2][3][4] and likely a "don't
care" in real implementations.  Offhand I suspect this is what pre-2.00
ISA revisions did too.

 So perhaps the partial decoding of mtcrf and mfcr has to be implemented
in QEMU for the processors concerned instead then?  The answer will
depend on what actual hardware does.