qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] CPU Emulation in QEMU

From: Bunny Mintoo
Subject: [Qemu-devel] CPU Emulation in QEMU
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 22:24:24 +0800

Hi,

I am completely new to QEMU and I am seeking help to test my new Instruction Set Architecture working.
My new ISA is an extension to the standard i386 (x86) ISA and it also involves adding new CPU data structures as well.
I glimpsed through the source code and identified qemu/target-i386/ as my starting point.

Can anyone help me with the following (Any pointers, sample code or references will be much appreciated):

i) Where and how to configure the settings to make the emulator use single CPU core?
My new model works only for single CPU core and hence wish QEMU to use (or emulate) only one core instead of all cores in my actual host hardware.

ii) Where and how to add or place new Op codes?
I understand that qemu/target-1386/translate.c is the code area.
But am not making sense of it hence looking for any explanation of the segments (or high level working)

Hoping for a helpful reply. Thanks!