qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions

From: Merten Sach
Subject: [Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 18:25:49 +0100

Hi,

I'm interested in participating in this years edition of Google Summer of Code.

I the last years I did a lot of work on hypervisors. Currently I'm working with
a hypervisor on ARM
for my master degree. On previous projects using x86, the ability to do a quick
debugging run using
QEMU with SVM support helped me a lot. However, the ARM version of QEMU is
still lacking this useful
feature.

Initially I wanted to propose the implementation of ARMv7 virtualization
extensions. I know this is
not supported at the moment. Also based on the documentation I found I thought
it is still untouched.
However, when I looked at git log I saw that there is some preparation to
include EL2 support (LPAE,
nested paging preparation, etc).
Is there demand for a GSoC project to further ARM virtualization extension
support?

I have some experience with the QEMU codebase. In my bachelor thesis I adopted
QEMU (1.0 war stable
at the time) to execute guests deterministically (in particular SMP guests).
However, this work was
never submitted upstream due to the different focus.

I appreciate any comments.

Best regards
Merten