qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] arm: semihosting: Preliminary AArch64 support

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] arm: semihosting: Preliminary AArch64 support
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:21:35 +0000

On 27 March 2015 at 17:15, Leon Alrae <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 27/03/2015 17:05, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> We should pick those back up -- I think we sort of stalled
>> because it wasn't clear that you were happy with the double-comma
>> thing. It does fit in with the rest of QEMU's (ugly) command
>> line syntax, though...
>
> Recently as a part of semihosting support for MIPS, I proposed
> introducing separate "-semihosting-arg" option to pass input arguments
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-02/msg05387.html
>
> I'm not entirely sure about the name of this option (it is explicit at
> least I think), but basically it makes the life easier. You can pass any
> number of arguments without having to care about separators and escape
> characters. Wouldn't it help also in this ugly double-commas case?

This is rather recapitulating the previous discussions. The
problem with extra ad-hoc top level command line arguments
is that they don't fit in with the structure we're trying
to impose on new QEMU options, which is that they should
have a particular syntax and sit inside option groups
(in this case, -semihosting-config).

-- PMM