qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] Slow-path for atomic instruction translation

From: Mark Burton
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] Slow-path for atomic instruction translation
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 17:55:55 +0200

A massive thank you for doing this work Alvise,

On our side, the patch we suggested is only applicable for ARM, though the
mechanism would work for any CPU,
        - BUT
It doesn’t force atomic instructions out through the slow path. This is either
a very good thing (it’s much faster), or a very bad thing (it doesn’t allow you
to treat them in the IO space), depending on your point of view.

Depending on what the rest of the community thinks, it seems to me we should
apply both patches so that e.g. ARM’s existing atomic instructions run much
faster and above all more ‘accurately’ - (with the patch we’ve provided),  and
the same mechanism can be applied to all other architectures - but we can -
somehow - swap for this more ‘controllable’ implementation when e.g. the mutex
is located in IO space….

Cheers

Mark.

         +44 (0)20 7100 3485 x 210