qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Can we convert UTC time to local time in Qemu

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Can we convert UTC time to local time in Qemu
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 10:00:43 +0100

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 06:29:55AM +0000, Gonglei (Arei) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At present, Qemu use g_time_val_to_iso8601() to get the UTC added to
> error_report()
> (commit 5e2ac5191), TBH this way is very simply, we just need invoke standard
> glib functions to
> complete the job.
>
> But in the cloud computing and data center scenarios, there are many
> Other open source components, such as kernel, libvirt, openstack which are
> all using local time
> to record the message logs, only Qemu is using the UTC time. When we want to
> find a error
> message of Qemu, we should convert the UTC time to local time manually, and
> unfortunately
> different countries have different local time, what a trouble thing the
> converting is.
>
> So, my question is: Can we convert the UTC time to local time in Qemu?
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks.

Actually, libvirt uses UTC for logging almost exclusively for quite a
while, because AFAIK, there is no async signal safe way to convert to
localtime in POSIX / glibc

commit 3ec128989606278635a7c5dfbeee959692d12e15
Author: Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden>
Date:   Tue Nov 29 12:11:01 2011 +0000

    Add internal APIs for dealing with time

    The logging APIs need to be able to generate formatted timestamps
    using only async signal safe functions. This rules out using
    gmtime/localtime/malloc/gettimeday(!) and much more.

    Introduce a new internal API which is async signal safe.

      virTimeMillisNowRaw replacement for gettimeofday. Uses clock_gettime
                          where available, otherwise falls back to the unsafe
                          gettimeofday

      virTimeFieldsNowRaw  replacements for gmtime(), convert a timestamp
      virTimeFieldsThenRaw into a broken out set of fields. No localtime()
                           replacement is provided, because converting to
                           local time is not practical with only async signal
                           safe APIs.

      virTimeStringNowRaw  replacements for strftime() which print a timestamp
      virTimeStringThenRaw into a string, using a pre-determined format, with
                           a fixed size buffer (VIR_TIME_STRING_BUFLEN)

    For each of these there is also a version without the Raw postfix
    which raises a full libvirt error. These versions are not async
    signal safe

Regards,
Daniel