qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Imbalanced PCI-MSI interrupts distribution in Qemu Guest

From: Jian Qiu
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Imbalanced PCI-MSI interrupts distribution in Qemu Guest
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 00:37:56 +0800

Hi,

We were confused with the behavior of interrupt distribution across CPUs in Qemu guest VM.

We were using Qemu-kvm 1.1.2 and OSes of the both guest and host were CentOS 6.5. We found that the interrupts were evenly distributed as long as the number of CPU cores were no more than 8. Otherwise, the interrupts all went to CPU0.

Furthermore, if we turned off kernel_irqchip explicitly, i.e. setting kernel_irqchip=off, no matter how many CPU cores the VM had, the interrupts all went to CPU0.

Further, when we tested on qemu 2.1.3, the interrupts were always unbalanced.

I'm wondering why this happened? How to achieve balance interrupts in guest VM?

Many thanks for your advice.

Jian Qiu