qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] libcacard: use the library?

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] libcacard: use the library?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 21:25:20 +0300

27.04.2015 13:37, Paolo Bonzini пишет:

> On 27/04/2015 11:44, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> Currently we link individual object files from libcacard
>> to qemu-system binaries, this way (from Makefile.objs):
>>
>> libcacard-y += libcacard/cac.o libcacard/event.o
>> libcacard-y += libcacard/vcard.o libcacard/vreader.o
>> common-obj-$(CONFIG_SMARTCARD_NSS) += $(libcacard-y)
>>
>> Why can't we use the actual library, and just add the
>> linker flag, -Ilibcacard -lcacard?
>
> Because that would require people to use "libtool --mode=execute gdb" to
> debug qemu.  This is not a problem for me, but I know that some people
> on the list are allergic to the GNU build tools.
>
> I would be okay for this, and I would also be okay with making libcacard
> standalone.  Making it standalone would also bypass the problem of
> verbose debugging command lines.  You've already done most of the work
> with your patches to stop using libqemuutil.a.  As a small step in that
> direction, I've sent a patch to remove use of qemu-common.h.
>
> Somebody has to write some Autoconf/Automake and package it up, I guess.

Ok.  I wrote small configure script (just a simple shell script,
no auto*tools, since the configuration of it is stright-forward,
we just need to check libglib and libnss versions using pkg-config
and check if libtool works) and a small Makefile for libcacard.

Now the question is what to do with it?  How to make it external
and where to put it?  What to use for its version?  How to migrate
to its usage in qemu?

I propose to put it in a separate git repository on qemu project
site and remove it from qemu source, since it is definitely not a
hard requiriment to have smartcard support.  Or maybe we can keep
it for a release in qemu source, adding it as a submodule, with
a tweak to be able to use external lib instead of embedded copy
if external is available.

Thanks,

/mjt