qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] incorrect memory size inside vm

From: Piotr Rybicki
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] incorrect memory size inside vm
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:30:36 +0200

W dniu 2015-06-19 o 14:01, Andrey Korolyov pisze:
On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Piotr Rybicki
<address@hidden> wrote:
Hello.

Actually it was my mistake.
After some time using memory in guest (find /, cp bigfine, etc), res size of
qemu process shrinks to expected value.

Sorry for disturbing.
Now i don't see any memory waste in guest and host when using 'base' memory
+ 'dimm' memory.

Although i have one issue.

When i start qemu via libvirt with 16GB mem and 1G current mem:
(...)
   <memory unit='KiB'>16777216</memory>
   <currentMemory unit='KiB'>1048576</currentMemory>
(...)

Qemu starts, and balloon can't free memmory, so guest doesn't boot (It hangs
or is looped in ' virtio_balloon virtio2: Out of puff! Can't get 1 pages').
I think this is because dimm memmory is not yet onlined, and balloon already
tries to shring memory in guest.

Best regards
Piotr Rybicki

- libvir@

Please don`t top-post in technical mailing lists. Do you have a
crashkernel-reserved area there in the boot arguments? What
distro/guest kernel are running in this guest and what is dimm
configuration?

Hi.

No, I don't have a crashkernel reserved area.

But I've solved my problem. I load virtio-balloon device as a module (previously it was kernel built-in), and everything is working as expected.

Thank You for Your attention.

Best regards
Piotr Rybicki