qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] User space vs kernel space instructions distribution.

From: Shlomo Pongratz
Subject: [Qemu-devel] User space vs kernel space instructions distribution.
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 11:32:45 +0300

Hi,

I'm running aarm64 QEMU and I'm counting the number of instructions which "belong" to user space vs kernel space. My measurements shows that 99 percent of instructions are in kernel space.
I've used both the address of the instructions and the EL just to be sure. I also added an option to disable block chaining just to make sure that all the instructions in every TB  is counted.
When examining some kernel's instructions against the objdump of the kernel I've noticed that most of them are in interrupts/timers area.

Does this make sense?
Did someone also encountered this phenomenon?

Best regards,

S.P.