qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [aswg-chair] register QEMU ACPI ID

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [aswg-chair] register QEMU ACPI ID
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 23:02:57 +0300

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 06:52:28PM +0000, Doran, Mark wrote:
> Hi Michael:
>
> Fortunately the ID element of ACPI in and of itself can be discussed in
> public forum venues so no problem to copy the mailing list (added to cc for
> this reply).
>
> I don't know that naming a project that is not a legally identifiable entity
> will cause an issue.  I just live in the school of not asking questions that
> I don't know the answers to for this sort of thing as much as possible.  If,
> for example, it would equally make sense to name a company (like say Red
> Hat) or an incorporated organization (like say Linux Foundation) then I know
> there's not going to be a question.  There _may_ be no question about name a
> project as the owner; it's just an unknown so I wanted to bring that to your
> attention -- I'm not sure what your urgency is and/or whether searching for
> the absolute line of least resistance path matters to you or not.

We have discussed this on the project mailing list.

Everyone seems to be OK with simply making
Red Hat Inc. the owner of the "QEMU" ACPI ID.
Red Hat will own it on behalf of the community.

This should make things simpler as Red Hat is a legal
entity.

> If a guess OS is required to load QEMU-specific drivers for certain "soft"
> devices to function correctly then I think your use case should not run us
> into any hard questions.

Exactly, OS needs this to load drivers for certain "soft" or
"para-virtual" devices.

>  I asked just to make sure, not being personally
> familiar with the way QEMU works at that level.
>
> In other words, I don't think there are problems here, I'm just trying to
> make sure I know what to tell the review group (if anything) about a
> slightly unusual request to minimize back-and-forth (I can't include the
> qemu-devel mailing list on the Forum internal list review thread as that one
> is in a UEFI Forum Confidential venue).
>
> Just reply and let me know whether you want me to go ahead with the project
> as the named owner or not and I can take it from there.

To conclude, please simply register the ID "QEMU" for Red Hat inc.