qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] Static probe Qemu for CPU operation on KVM m

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] Static probe Qemu for CPU operation on KVM mode
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 10:48:53 +0100

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 04:58:02AM +0900, Ady Wahyudi Paundu wrote:
> If I want to profile a VM's CPU load when running Qemu with KVM mode
> using static probe instrumentation, where (which file/function) should
> I put my trace points?

What are you trying to measure?

Linux tools on the host will report CPU utilization for the QEMU process
but also for the individual vcpus (they are threads and you can query
their tids using the 'query-cpus' QMP command).  Plain old ps(1) and
pidstat(1) will do the trick.

Or you might want to look at "sudo perf list | grep kvm" for the
KVM-specific host kernel trace events.  The most relevant trace events
are probably kvm:kvm_entry and kvm:kvm_exit.  These events tell you when
guest code starts/stops executing.

Stefan