qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PO makefile rules touching source

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PO makefile rules touching source
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 19:14:37 +0200

Am 06.08.2015 um 13:54 schrieb Dr. David Alan Gilbert:
Hi Stefan,
   I don't really understand the way PO stuff is supposed to work,
but I often get the problem that my git tree gets changed during
an out of tree build, causing the po subdirectory to be
dirtied.

I think this is due to the rule:

$(PO_PATH)/%.po: $(PO_PATH)/messages.po
         $(call quiet-command, msgmerge -q $@ $< > address@hidden && mv address@hidden
$@, "  GEN   $@")

in po/Makefile.

Why does that merge into $(PO_PATH)/%.po rather than %.po - i.e.
why to the source rather than to the build directory?

Dave

Hi Dave,

the *.po files are initially generated, then manually
enhanced by the translated texts.

Each time when there are modifications to the
related source file (for QEMU: ui/gtk.c), the *.po
files need updates, too (new or removed texts,
but most often changes of line numbers).

That's why I have sent a patch to update the
*.po files for QEMU 2.4.0. With this patch
(which is still not applied), you would not
get changes when doing a complete build
because *.po files and ui/gtk.c would match.

As long as there is the mismatch, you'll
get modified *.po files when running
"make install". I usually handle this case
by running "git diff po|patch -p1 -R"
which removes the *.po modifications.

Stefan