qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] RFC: Instruction Counting Debug Facilities

From: Christopher Covington
Subject: [Qemu-devel] RFC: Instruction Counting Debug Facilities
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:08:30 -0400

Hi,

Please find in this series two small patches adding debugging
facilities related to instruction counting. My ultimate goal is to
provide accurate instruction counts to target software through
the Performance Monitors Unit (PMU) and enable the collection of
Basic Block Vectors (BBVs). These patches are intended to
facilitate future work towards that. Please let me know if you
think there are better ways to accomplish these goals.

My only reason for hiding the instruction count exit notifier
behind -icount shift=n is that I figure the kind of person who is
interested in such a metric is the kind of person who would
want to run with -icount shift=n set. Perhaps there's a statistics
or verbose option that would be more appropriate to key off of.
Additionally printing MIPS would be even neater, but I leave that
for later.

Thanks,
Christopher Covington

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,