qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] rfc: vhost user enhancements for vm2vm communication

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] rfc: vhost user enhancements for vm2vm communication
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 17:39:07 +0200

On 09.09.2015 09:06, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 02:38:34PM +0200, Claudio Fontana wrote:
>> Coming late to the party,
>>
>> On 31.08.2015 16:11, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>> During the KVM forum, we discussed supporting virtio on top
>>> of ivshmem. I have considered it, and came up with an alternative
>>> that has several advantages over that - please see below.
>>> Comments welcome.
>>
>> as Jan mentioned we actually discussed a virtio-shmem device which would
>> incorporate the advantages of ivshmem (so no need for a separate ivshmem
>> device), which would use the well known virtio interface, taking advantage
>> of the new virtio-1 virtqueue layout to split r/w and read-only rings as
>> seen from the two sides, and make use also of BAR0 which has been freed up
>> for use by the device.
>>
>> This way it would be possible to share the rings and the actual memory for
>> the buffers in the PCI bars. The guest VMs could decide to use the shared
>> memory regions directly as prepared by the hypervisor (in the jailhouse
>> case) or QEMU/KVM, or perform their own validation on the input depending on
>> the use case.
>>
>> Of course the communication between VMs needs in this case to be
>> pre-configured and is quite static (which is actually beneficial in our use
>> case).
>>
>> But still in your proposed solution, each VM needs to be pre-configured to
>> communicate with a specific other VM using a separate device right?
>>
>> But I wonder if we are addressing the same problem.. in your case you are
>> looking at having a shared memory pool for all VMs potentially visible to
>> all VMs (the vhost-user case), while in the virtio-shmem proposal we
>> discussed we were assuming specific different regions for every channel.
>>
>> Ciao,
>>
>> Claudio
>
> The problem, as I see it, is to allow inter-vm communication with
> polling (to get very low latencies) but polling within VMs only, without
> need to run a host thread (which when polling uses up a host CPU).
>
> What was proposed was to simply change virtio to allow
> "offset within BAR" instead of PA.

There are many consequences to this, offset within BAR alone is not enough,
there are multiple things at the virtio level that need sorting out.
Also we need to consider virtio-mmio etc.

> This would allow VM2VM communication if there are only 2 VMs,
> but if data needs to be sent to multiple VMs, you
> must copy it.

Not necessarily, however getting it to work (sharing the backend window and
arbitrating the multicast) is really hard.

> Additionally, it's a single-purpose feature: you can use it from
> a userspace PMD but linux will never use it.
>

> My proposal is a superset: don't require that BAR memory is
> used, use IOMMU translation tables.
> This way, data can be sent to multiple VMs by sharing the same
> memory with them all.

Can you describe in detail how your proposal deals with the arbitration
necessary for multicast handling?