qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] feature idea: allow user to run custom scripts

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] feature idea: allow user to run custom scripts
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 21:30:46 -0500

Quoting Programmingkid (2015-09-27 20:49:24)

> On Sep 27, 2015, at 2:53 PM, Peter Crosthwaite wrote:

> >> Sounds like a VM management layer feature.
> >>

> > Should -monitor file:/foo/bar do something like this?
>
> If you are saying this command line argument loads monitor commands,
> then it would only work when QEMU is first started. The feature I want
> would work anytime during the running of QEMU.

For that sort of flexibility I think writing commands to a socket via
a script/program is simple enough that an additional interface doesn't
seem worthwhile. Even our qtest unit tests use this approach. Plus you
get the flexibility of a being able to branch based on the return
value of commands (error-handling, stateful commands, incorporating
output from a serial console, etc.). It seems like a nice feature but
it's vastly inferior to what's possible with an external driver.