qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Debugging Migration

From: Denis V. Lunev
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Debugging Migration
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 01:40:29 +0300

On 10/06/2015 09:46 PM, John Snow wrote:
Is there a convenient way of "pausing" or stalling a live migration to
allow methodical testing of race conditions?

I'd like to instrument something along the lines of:

(1) Live migration begins.
(2) migration is artificially halted or paused, but QEMU is allowed to run.
(3) Some additional qtest/QMP commands are received and processed.
(4) migration is allowed to resume.

Does anyone have perhaps even test patches to instrument this sort of
thing, or is it up to detective john to add it if he wants it?

Thanks,
--js

we have performed some experiments with migration "test mode".
The idea was to estimate the time to migrate and estimate
expected downtime for distributed resource management.
In this mode the migration was not performed but all stuff around
like dirty bitmap was touched.

There are several patches for this in my queue but they are very
hackish.

Will it help you?

Den