qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration sequence

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration sequence
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 16:29:42 +0100

* Pavel Fedin (address@hidden) wrote:
>  Hello!
>
>  I would like to clarify, what is the exact live migration sequence in qemu?
>
>  I mean - there are pre_save and post_load callbacks for VMState structures.
> Is there any determined
> order of calling them related to memory contents migration? In other words,
> is there any guarantee
> that pre_save is called before RAM migrates, and post_load is called after
> RAM migrates?

The pre_load/pre_save and post_load relate to the particular VMState the
functions are attached to;
so if you use them on a VMState of a particular device the only thing you know
is that the pre_save
is called just before the system writes the description out; and on loading the
pre_load is called
just before it reads the data, and post_load just after it's read the data.

Ordering relating to RAM is a separate question; in general RAM is normally
loaded before all
of the non-iterative devices.

>  The answer to this question is important for developing vITS live migration,
> where i have to dump
> internal ITS state into in-memory tables before the migration starts, and
> then get it back in cache
> on destination.

What's an ITS ?
With a related question, how big are the tables and can it change during the
iterated part
of the migrate?

Dave