qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: libyajl for JSON

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: libyajl for JSON
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 09:26:59 -0500

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 14:53:59 +0100
Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Let's be pragmatic. *If* this is the only issue stopping us from
> > dropping our own parser in favor of something more widely used and
> > *if* libvirt doesn't make use of the feature, it's something we
> > should strongly consider.
>
> I'm not sure what's so bad about our parser that makes it worthwhile to:

It's not that it's bad. It's about the advantages of dropping hundreds of
lines of NIH code and switching to something more widely used. Also,
any maintenance time we spend on libyajl will also be automatically
enjoyed by libvirt which is excellent.

On the other hand, I don't want to push too hard for it because I do
recognize that switching has a cost and I won't be able to help with
that myself.

> 1) uglify all tests and make them inconsistent with the QAPI schemas,
> which also uses single-quoted strings

This doesn't seem hard to fix, we could pre-process the test files,
say in Python, to add the needed escaping.

> 2) waste time finding a replacement for % interpolation (the best
> replacement here would be to rewrite the tests in Python IMHO, but
> that's not a small ask)

Is this only used by tests? Can you give an example of this feature?