qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] CPU Cache simulation

From: Lluís Vilanova
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] CPU Cache simulation
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 21:47:55 +0100

Pranith Kumar writes:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Eduardo Habkost <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> Interesting. How much did you change QEMU to make this work? Have
>> you been rebasing this to recent QEMU versions often?

> The core of qemu is not changed except for one TCG issue I didn't know
> how to fix. Rest is just annotating the code to generate appropriate
> callbacks. You find the patches here:
> https://github.com/pranith/qemu/commits/aaa8b521187e4ecd1d35914e9b119f9d6eaa8633

> I try to rebase once a release comes out. The current version is based
> on 2.4, so it is pretty current. I will rebase onto 2.5 in the near
> future since the rc0 is out.

Interesting. I have a similar thing that was discussed some time ago in this
list [1]. It is more of an infrastructure to hook your own code whenever QEMU
executes guest instructions, so it looks more like a generalization of the core
infrastructure that hooks the arch simulator with QEMU as an emulator.

The final consensus was that some of the added bits would result in largely
untested API functions, but that a lot of it could be merged into QEMU in the
form of trace points for guest code.

My plan from there was to add an out-of-tree tracing backend that allows hooking
into these points (it's included in the repo). I haven't had time to synchronize
the public repo, but I've internally updated some of its changes to send them
for integration.

[1] https://projects.gso.ac.upc.edu/projects/qemu-dbi

Cheers,
  Lluis