qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Error handling in realize() methods

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Error handling in realize() methods
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 14:19:39 +0000

* Markus Armbruster (address@hidden) wrote:
> In general, code running withing a realize() method should not exit() on
> error.  Instad, errors should be propagated through the realize()
> method.  Additionally, the realize() method should fail cleanly,
> i.e. carefully undo its side effects such as wiring of interrupts,
> mapping of memory, and so forth.  Tedious work, but necessary to make
> hot plug safe.
>
> Quite a few devices don't do that.
>
> Some of them can be usefully hot-plugged, and for them unclean failures
> are simply bugs.  I'm going to mark the ones I can find.
>
> Others are used only as onboard devices, and if their realize() fails,
> the machine's init() will exit()[*].  In an ideal world, we'd start with
> an empty board and cold-plugg devices, and there, clean failure may be
> useful.  In the world we live in, making these devices fail cleanly is a
> lot of tedious work for no immediate gain.
>
> Example: machine "kzm" and device "fsl,imx31".  fsl_imx31_realize()
> returns without cleanup on error.  kzm_init() exit(1)s when realize
> fails, so the lack of cleanup is a non-issue.
>
> I think this is basically okay for now, but I'd like us to mark these
> devices cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet, with /* Reason:
> realize() method fails uncleanly */.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Next, let's consider the special case "out of memory".
>
> Our general approach is to treat it as immediately fatal.  This makes
> sense, because when a smallish allocation fails, the process is almost
> certainly doomed anyway.  Moreover, memory allocation is frequent, and
> attempting to recover from failed memory allocation adds loads of
> hard-to-test error paths.  These are *dangerous* unless carefully tested
> (and we don't).
>
> Certain important allocations we handle more gracefully.  For instance,
> we don't want to die when the user tries to hot-plug more memory than we
> can allocate, or tries to open a QCOW2 image with a huge L1 table.
>
> Guest memory allocation used to have the "immediately fatal" policy
> baked in at a fairly low level, but it's since been lifted into callers;
> see commit c261d77..fc7a580 and fixups 4f96676..0bdaa3a.  During review
> of the latter, Peter Crosthwaite called out the &error_fatal in the
> realize methods and their supporting code.  I agreed with him back then
> that the errors should really be propagated.  But now I've changed my
> mind: I think we should treat these memory allocation failures like
> we've always treated them, namely report and exit(1).  Except for
> "large" allocations, where we have a higher probability of failure, and
> a more realistic chance to recover safely.
>
> Can we agree that passing &error_fatal to memory_region_init_ram() &
> friends is basically okay even in realize() methods and their supporting
> code?

I'd say it depends if they can be hotplugged; I think anything that we really
want to hotplug onto real running machines (as opposed to where we're just
hotplugging during setup) we should propagate errors properly.

And tbh I don't buy the small allocation argument; I think we should handle them
all; in my utopian world a guest wouldn't die unless there was no way out.

Dave