qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to reserve guest physical region for ACPI

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to reserve guest physical region for ACPI
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 18:08:02 +0100

On 01/07/16 11:54, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 11:30:25AM +0100, Igor Mammedov wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 18:43:02 +0200

>>> So don't do this.
>> well spec says "An ACPI-compatible OS must use the XSDT if present",
>> which I read as tables pointed by RSDT MUST be pointed by XSDT
>> as well and RSDT MUST NOT not be used.
>>
>> so if we put incompatible changes in a separate SSDT and put
>> it only in XSDT that might work. Showstopper here is OVMF which
>> has issues with it as Laszlo pointed out.
>
> But that's just a bug.

Yes, but the bug (actually: lack of feature) is in the UEFI
specification. The current EFI_ACPI_TABLE_PROTOCOL implementation in
edk2 conforms to the specification. In order to expose the functionality
that the above trick needs, the UEFI spec has to be changed. In my
(limited, admittedly) experience, that's an uphill battle.

[...]