qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 5/5] hw/arm/virt: Support legacy -nic command lin

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 5/5] hw/arm/virt: Support legacy -nic command line syntax
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 13:34:40 +0000

On 18 January 2016 at 13:29, Eric Auger <address@hidden> wrote:
> How is it supposed to live with Passthrough'ed NIC? Current way to
> instantiate a VFIO platform NIC looks like:
>
> -device vfio-amd-xgbe,host=e0900000.xgmac
> where vfio-amd-xgbe is the name of the VFIO AMD XGBE platform QEMU
> device and e0900000.xgmac is the name of the device in
> /sys/bus/platform/devices.

> Before that commit I was able to instantiate this VFIO device and got
> networking working, testing it with ping. Now ping don't work anymore. I
> Guess I now use this other default NIC?
>
> Curiously it does not seem to prevent networking with upstreamed Calxeda
> Midway device and I did not figure why yet?

Hmm, I guess this is changing things in that we now will have a
virtio PCI device appearing if you use the default (-net nic -net user)
settings. But I don't see why that would particularly interfere
with VFIO passthrough, except in as much as the guest now has
two network cards in it and might be preferring one as eth0
rather than the other...

thanks
-- PMM