qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO based vGPU(was Re: [Announcement] 2015-Q3 release

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VFIO based vGPU(was Re: [Announcement] 2015-Q3 release of XenGT - a Mediated ...)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 15:27:30 -0700

On Tue, 2016-01-26 at 22:15 +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

But in-kernel delivery is never *required*.  Wouldn't userspace want to
deliver in-kernel any time it possibly could?

>       - when the variable is true, KVMGT will register in-kernel MMIO
> emulation callbacks then VM MMIO request will be delivered to KVMGT
> directly;
>       - when the variable is false, KVMGT will not register anything.
> VM MMIO request will then be delivered to Qemu and then ioread/write
> will be used to finally reach KVMGT emulation logic;

No, that means the interface is entirely dependent on a backdoor through
KVM.  Why can't userspace (QEMU) do something like register an MMIO
region with KVM handled via a provided file descriptor and offset,
couldn't KVM then call the file ops without a kernel exit?  Thanks,

Alex