qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] Draft implementation of HPT resizing (qemu si

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/3] Draft implementation of HPT resizing (qemu side)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 10:11:23 +1100

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 08:18:39AM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:

> >> The KVM PR code doesn't care - it just rereads SDR1 on every pteg lookup
> >> ;).
> >> There's no caching at all.
> >
> > Ok, no idea why it's not working then.  I'll investigate when I get a
> > chance.
> >
> >> Of course, the guest needs to invalidate all pending tlb entries if they're
> >> now invalid.
> >>
> >> Does this work on real hardware? Say, a G5?
> >
> > As Paulus says it would be possible to do HPT resizing on real
> > hardware, but the implementation I've done is specific to PAPR.  And
> > obviously qemu wouldn't be relevant to that case.
>
> So why make it specific to papr? Wouldn't it make sense to have it
> as a (ppc) generic interface in Linux?

Well, I sort of did, in that I added a ppc_md call for it.  I just
haven't implemented it for anything other than PAPR yet - the PAPR
implementation is quite different from what the native one would be,
since the hypervisor needs to handle the rehashing.

> For the PR PAPR case, QEMU allocates the HTAB, so it needs to make
> sure it pushes the changed address as new fake SDR1 value into kvm
> when it changes.

Yes, I'm doing that - have a look at the qemu series.  Not 100% sure
it's correct, since I haven't debugged with PR KVM yet.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson