qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Doubts regarding parallelism on KVM, IO threads

From: Gaurav Sharma
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Doubts regarding parallelism on KVM, IO threads
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 11:39:16 +0530

Hi was trying to do some digging for multi core scenarios both with and without KVM.

In short i have some devices and a user application that does some r/w operations on those devices.

As per my understanding, in case binary translation using TCG is invoked, we only create a single Qemuthread for all vcpu's. In case of KVM we have a Qemuthread for each vcpu as TCG is bypassed in this case.

[Test scenario]
Lets say i have devices dev1 and dev2. Test application for dev1 is executed on core0 and dev2 on core1.
For device dev1, for testing purposes i specified some sleep whenever a read comes.
In case KVM is enabled, whenever the sleep is hit my whole VM freezes.

1. Are are devices emulated in a separate single thread ?
2. How and where in the code do we do a switch between CPU thread and IOthread ?

Regards,
Gaurav