qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] about correctness of IDE emulation

From: Huaicheng Li (coperd)
Subject: [Qemu-devel] about correctness of IDE emulation
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:37:21 -0500

Hi all,

I meet some trouble in understanding IDE emulation:

(1) IDE I/O Down Path (In VCPU thread):
upon KVM_EXIT_IO, corresponding disk ioport write function will write IO info
to IDEState, then ide read callback function will eventually split it into
**several DMA transfers** and eventually submit them to the AIO request list
for handling.

(2). I/O Up Path (worker thread —>  QEMU main loop thread)
when the request in AIO request list has been successfully handled, the worker
thread will signal the QEMU main thread this I/O completion event, which is
later handled by its callback (posix_aio_read). posix_aio_read will then
eventually return to IDE callback function, where virtual interrupt is
generated to signal guest about I/O completion.

What I’m confused about is that:

If one I/O is too large and may need several rounds (say 2) of DMA transfers,
it seems the second round transfer begins only after the completion of the
first part, by reading data from **IDEState**. But the IDEState info may have
been changed by VCPU threads (by writing new I/Os to it) when the first
transfer finishes. From the code, I see that IDE r/w call back function will
continue the second transfer by referencing IDEState’s information. Wouldn’t
this be problematic? Am I missing anything here?

Thanks.

Best,
Huaicheng