qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is SeaBIOS used with -kernel?

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is SeaBIOS used with -kernel?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 10:21:25 +0100

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 08:31:24PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Is there something I'm missing, or for Linux + -kernel could we use a
> much simpler BIOS?

The data that Marc Mari collected when comparing qboot with an optimized
SeaBIOS/QEMU showed that there's no need for a separate "lightweight
firmware" codebase.

https://github.com/bonzini/qboot

It would create a maintenance burden and eventually we'd want many of
the SeaBIOS features anyway.  It's better to optimize linuxboot.bin and
SeaBIOS instead.

Kevin O'Connor had some SeaBIOS optimizations that improved boot time by
skipping unnecessary probing and timer calibration IIRC.  I have CCed
Marc and Kevin on this email.

Stefan