qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Should we introduce a TranslationRegion with its own co

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Should we introduce a TranslationRegion with its own codegen buffer?
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 14:13:18 +0200

On 04/04/2016 14:01, Alex Bennée wrote:
> > >   - is pretty ugly anyway
> >
> > What exactly makes it ugly?
>
> Subjective I guess but the use of tb_lock_recursive() and
> tb_lock_reset() seem not as clean as they could be. Is this stuff Fred
> re-introduced?

I think tb_lock_recursive is mine, while tb_lock_reset is from Fred.

I concede that those functions are a bit ugly, but that is unrelated to
the "tb_find_fast outside tb_lock" idea (which was from Fred and gives a
~20% or so speedup at -smp 2; more as the number of VCPUs increases).

You could make tb_lock recursive I guess if you want to avoid
tb_lock_recursive() but it really just sweeps it under the carpet.
tb_lock_reset() is needed anyway because it is used after longjmp.

Paolo