qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/13] Multiple fd migration support

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/13] Multiple fd migration support
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 13:26:11 +0100

* Juan Quintela (address@hidden) wrote:
> Hi
>
> This patch series is "an" initial implementation of multiple fd migration.
> This is to get something out for others to comment, it is not finished at all.

I've had a quick skim:
  a) I think mst is right about the risk of getting stale pages out of order.
  b) Since you don't change the URI at all, it's a bit restricted; for example,
     it means I can't run separate sessions over different NICs unless I've
     done something clever at the routing/or bonded them.
     One thing I liked the sound of multi-fd for is NUMA; get a BIG box
     and give each numa node a separate NIC and run a separate thread on each
     node.
  c) Hmm we do still have a single thread doing all the bitmap syncing and
scanning,
     we'll have to watch out if that is the bottleneck at all.
  d) All the zero testing is still done in the main thread which we know is
     expensive.
  e) Do we need to do something for security with having multiple ports? How
     do we check that nothing snuck in on one of our extra ports, have we got
     sanity checks to make sure it's actually the right stream.
  f) You're handing out pages to the sending threads on the basis of which one
     is free (in the same way as the multi threaded compression); but I think
     it needs some sanity adding to only hand out whole host pages - it feels
     like receiving all the chunks of one host page down separate FDs would
     be horrible.
  g) I think you might be able to combine the compression into the same threads;
     so that if multi-fd + multi-threaded-compresison is set you don't end
     up with 2 sets of threads and it might be the simplest way to make them
     work together.
  h) You've used the last free RAM_SAVE_FLAG!  And the person who takes the last
     slice^Wbit has to get some more.
     Since arm, ppc, and 68k have variants that have TARGET_PAGE_BITS 10  that
     means we're full; I suggest what you do is use that flag to mean that we
     send another 64bit word; and in that word you use the bottom 7 bits for
     the fd index and bit 7 is set to indicate it's fd.  The other bits are sent
     as zero and available for the next use.
     Either that or start combining with some other flags.
     (I may have a use for some more bits in mind!)
  i) Is this safe for xbzrle - what happens to the cache (or is it all
     still the main thread?)
  j) For postcopy I could do with a separate fd for the requested pages
     (but again that comes back to needing an easy solution to the ordering)

Dave