qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] emulation details of qemu

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] emulation details of qemu
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:22:43 +0100

tutu sky <address@hidden> writes:

> Yeah, thank you Alex.
> If I use a linux on top of the qemu, for entering debug mode, do i
> need to compile kernel from source or it is not dependent on debugging
> qemu itself?

I'm not sure I follow. As far as QEMU is concerned it provides a stub
for GDB to talk to and doesn't need to know anything else about the
guest it is running. The GDB itself will want symbols one way or another
so you would either compile your kernel from source or pass the debug
symbol enabled vmlinux to GDB using symbol-file.

> and then is it possible to define a heterogeneous multicore platform
> in qemu?

The current upstream QEMU doesn't support heterogeneous setups although
some preliminary work has been posted to allow multiple front-ends to be
compiled together.

There are certainly out-of-tree solutions although as I understand it
(I've not worked with them myself) they use multiple QEMU runtimes
linked together with some sort of shared memory bus/IPC layer.

--
Alex Bennée