qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [for-2.7 PATCH v3 00/15] Core based CPU hotplug for Pow

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [for-2.7 PATCH v3 00/15] Core based CPU hotplug for PowerPC sPAPR
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 16:20:18 +1000

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 09:18:10AM +0530, Bharata B Rao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is v3 of "Core based CPU hotplug for PowerPC sPAPR". The hotplug
> semantics looks like this:
>
> (qemu) device_add POWER8E-spapr-cpu-core,id=core2,core=16[,threads=4]
> (qemu) device_add POWER8E_v2.1-spapr-cpu-core,id=core2,core=16[,threads=4]
>
> Changes in v3
> -------------
> - Moved CPU ObjectClass pointer from sPAPR specific CPU core type to
>   its parent type, the abstract sPAPR CPU core type. This largely reduces
>   the use of macros.
> - Including Igor's QMP query-hotpluggable-cpus patches in this series.
> - Added HMP version for query-hotpluggable-cpus.
> - Added a patch to prevent QEMU crash due to DRC detach racing against attach.
> - Addressed miscellaneous review comments from previous post.
>
> v2.1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-ppc/2016-03/msg00649.html
>
> Bharata B Rao (11):
>   exec: Remove cpu from cpus list during cpu_exec_exit()
>   exec: Do vmstate unregistration from cpu_exec_exit()
>   cpu: Add a sync version of cpu_remove()
>   cpu: Abstract CPU core type
>   spapr: Abstract CPU core device and type specific core devices
>   spapr: convert boot CPUs into CPU core devices
>   spapr: CPU hotplug support
>   xics,xics_kvm: Handle CPU unplug correctly
>   spapr_drc: Prevent detach racing against attach for CPU DR
>   spapr: CPU hot unplug support
>   hmp: Add 'info hotpluggable-cpus' HMP command

Paolo,

Patches 1-4 of this series stand on their own, are AFAICT in your
bailiwick, and I think they're ready to go.  Are you ready to merge
these yet?

Igor,

Patches 5-6 are not ppc specific.  Do you think they're ready to go as
a first step towards new cpu hotplug infrastructure?

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson