qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OSX 10.7 build failure

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OSX 10.7 build failure
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 21:51:11 +0100

On 18 June 2016 at 20:09, Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:
> Here is a list of problems which I noticed:
>
> configure:
>
>     readelf: Error: Not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at
> the start

We should make our configure test correctly send stderr
to /dev/null, since "not an ELF file" is OK and just
means "test should not pass".

>     ld: unknown option: --verbose

This whole test should be 'only if doing linux-user or
bsd-user builds' I guess, since it's only for those.

> make:
>
>     /Users/admin/src/qemu/qemu.org/qemu/qemu-doc.texi:7: warning:
> unrecognized encoding name `UTF-8'.

This is because OSX's texinfo is ancient.

None of the three things above cause build failures, though,
even with warnings-as-errors.

>     /Users/admin/src/qemu/qemu.org/qemu/hw/audio/fmopl.c:1082:39:
> warning: shifting a negative signed value is undefined
> [-Wshift-negative-value]
>     /Users/admin/src/qemu/qemu.org/qemu/ui/vnc.c:3766:20: warning:
> 'sasl_server_init' is deprecated: first deprecated in OS X 10.11
> [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
>     (more sasl related deprecation warnings follow)
>     /Users/admin/src/qemu/qemu.org/qemu/target-mips/op_helper.c:1326:68:
> warning: shifting a negative signed value is undefined
> [-Wshift-negative-value]
>     (more similar warnings follow)

Hmm. I don't get any warnings about shifting negative values,
so they're presumably new with the clang from 10.11.
We really should figure out what we're doing about those
and get our compiler flags and/or code in line accordingly.

I'm still on 10.10.5 so I don't see the sasl_server_init()
deprecation.

thanks
-- PMM