qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and heavily increased RSS usage

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and heavily increased RSS usage
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 11:56:56 +0100

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 05:12:57PM +0200, Peter Lieven wrote:
>  - We changed the coroutine pool to a per thread model. I disabled the pool.
> This seems
>    to cut the max used RSS to about 150MB which is still a lot more than
> qemu-2.2.0

The per-thread coroutine pools only grow when a thread creates/destroys
coroutines.

The QEMU main loop, iothread, and maybe vcpus should use coroutines.
The numerous thread-pool worker threads should not use coroutines IIRC.

Creating coroutines is expensive and the pools improve performance a
lot.  Maybe you can make observations about how to manage pool size more
efficiently for your VM?

Stefan