qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] bug in usb_bus_release() ?

From: Juergen Gross
Subject: [Qemu-devel] bug in usb_bus_release() ?
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 16:56:47 +0200

I can reproduce a problem in qemu with Xen just by adding and removing a
USB bus. The bus is added via usb_bus_new() in hw/usb/xen-usb.c and
removed later via usb_bus_release().

Nothing bad happens until I close an active VNC viewer connected to the
graphical console emulated by the same qemu process. In the log file I
see "*** Error in `/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-system-i386': corrupted double-
linked list: 0x000055b236bd56b0 ***" and the qemu process will hang.

Looking into the sources I suspected a missing

object_unparent(OBJECT(&usbif->bus));

after calling usb_bus_release(&usbif->bus) to be the culprit, but
adding this call didn't help (shouldn't this be called from
usb_bus_release() instead?)

I suspect something else is missing in qemu for removing a USB bus
without leaking resources, but I couldn't find anything up to now. Does
anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Juergen