qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM Cortex-M issues

From: Liviu Ionescu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM Cortex-M issues
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:50:08 +0300

> On 30 Aug 2016, at 10:38, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> ... the only thing
> you can do is test it on the RTOSes you have to hand.

which, in the end, is a highly effective way. it does not identifies bugs
related to features not used by the RTOS, but otherwise it is even more
effective in catching bugs, than when using real hardware, especially when the
RTOS is under construction.

some will probably argue agains this statement, but in the last 6 moths I used
QEMU **extensively** to develop µOS++, finally running 8h+ endurance tests.

not only that QEMU is incredibly robust, but due to the inherent high jitter of
the timers (SysTick in my case), combined with the very high speed of the
emulation, it increases the chance for interrupts to occur in "unexpected"
moments, and so identify badly placed critical sections inside the RTOS (the
common source of concern in young RTOSes).

it is true that I spent quite a lot of time on GNU ARM Eclipse QEMU, but it was
worth every penny; I could not imagine developing µOS++ without the scripts
running multiple semihosted tests in a loop, for hours and hours. you simply
cannot do this effectively on a real hardware.

so, Bill, if NMI is the only missing feature for your use case, I suggest
fixing it and running your RTOS tests on QEMU.

regards,

Liviu