qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MAINTAINERS leaves too many files uncovered

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MAINTAINERS leaves too many files uncovered
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:28:37 +0200

I really shouldn't reply to this, because more maintainer duties is
about the last thing I need, but here goes anyway:

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

>> > FWIW I was referring to qdev.
>>
>> Jointly?
>
> A subset not including me would also be fine.  But since the git
> fallback still exists, and the code is _obviously_ maintained, I don't
> think there is a particular hurry to add new people to the list.
> Maintainers are most useful when there are a lot of simple patches, not
> when each patch's design must be discussed in the community.

Even then, having someone "own" the discussion is useful: make sure it
happens, and stays on track.

Moreover, not *all* qdev patches need wider discussion.  You're doing a
good job picking up such patches to "unmaintained" code.  Still, having
less "unmaintained" code can only make that job easier.

Last but not least,

    $ scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f hw/core/qdev.c
    get_maintainer.pl: No maintainers found, printing recent contributors.
    get_maintainer.pl: Do not blindly cc: them on patches!  Use common sense.

    Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> (commit_signer:4/12=33%)
    David Gibson <address@hidden> (commit_signer:4/12=33%)
    Eric Blake <address@hidden> (commit_signer:3/12=25%)
    Igor Mammedov <address@hidden> (commit_signer:2/12=17%)
    "Andreas Färber" <address@hidden> (commit_signer:2/12=17%)
    address@hidden (open list:All patches CC here)

must look scary for contributors who don't know that qdev "is
_obviously_ maintained".