qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Windows 7 guest not starting with HyperV features enabled

From: Aleksei
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Windows 7 guest not starting with HyperV features enabled
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 15:44:20 +0300

Hi,
I'm using libvirt, but folks on libvirt mailing list said it makes more sense to post here.

I have a Windows 7 SP1 Pro 64-bit VM which works fine on libvirt 2.3.0 and Qemu 2.7.0.

If I enable HyperV features (https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsFeatures) like "relaxed", "spinlocks" etc - VM doesn't boot. "Starting Windows" text appears for ~2 seconds (no flying dots, no logo) and then it just goes to black screen. If I switch HyperV features back off, it boots normally again.

There are no logs for that attempted boot in the guest - apparently it doesn't get to the point when Windows starts logging. No errors logged in libvirt's win7.log either.

Attaching VM xml definition and libvirt-generated Qemu command line - only "relaxed" feature is enabled. VM fails with any feature in <hyperv> block enabled. Platform-specific values (smbios info etc) are replaced.
--
/--Regards, Aleksei/