qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virsh dump (qemu guest memory dump?): KASLR enabled lin

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virsh dump (qemu guest memory dump?): KASLR enabled linux guest support
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 16:38:36 +0100

On 11/09/16 15:47, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 01:20:51PM +0100, Andrew Jones wrote:

Yes, I realized this a while after posting...

... and then figured this would solve the problem.

>>> That doesn't help with trying to diagnose a crash during boot up, since
>>> the guest agent isn't running till fairly late. I'm also concerned that
>>> the QEMU guest agent is likely to be far from widely deployed in guests,

I have no hard data, but from the recent Fedora and RHEL-7 guest
installations I've done, it seems like qga is installed automatically.
(Not sure if that's because Anaconda realizes it's installing the OS in
a VM.) Once I made sure there was an appropriate virtio-serial config in
the domain XMLs, I could talk to the agents (mainly for fstrim's sake)
immediately.

>>> so reliance on the guest agent will mean the dump facility is no longer
>>> reliably available.
>>>

>> It'd still be reliably available and useable during early boot, just like
>> it is now, for kernels that don't use KASLR. This proposal is only
>> attempting to *also* address KASLR kernels, for which there is currently
>> no support whatsoever. Call it a best-effort.
>>
>> Of course we can get support for [probably] early boot and
>> guest-agent-less guests using KASLR too if we introduce a paravirt
>> solution, requiring guest kernel and KVM changes. Is it worth it?
>
> There's a standard for persistent storage that is intended to allow
> the kernel to dump out data at time of crash:
>
>    https://lwn.net/Articles/434821/
>
> and there's some recent patches to provide a QEMU backend. Could we
> leverage that facility to get the data we need from the guest kernel ?
>
> Instead of only using pstore at time of crash, the kernel could see
> that its running on KVM, and write out the paging data to pstore. So
> when QEMU later generates a core dump, it can grab the corresponding
> data from pstore backend ?
>
> Still requires an extra device, to be configured, but at lesat we
> would not have to invent yet another paravirt device ourselves, just
> use the existing framework.

Not disagreeing, I'd just like to point out that the kernel can also
crash before the extra device (the pstore driver) is configured
(especially if the driver is built as a module).

Laszlo