qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 05/47] contrib: add libvhost-user

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 05/47] contrib: add libvhost-user
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 17:05:03 +0000

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 06:12:03PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> From: Marc-André Lureau <address@hidden>
>
> Add a library to help implementing vhost-user backend (or slave).
>
> Dealing with vhost-user as an application developer isn't so easy: you
> have all the trouble with any protocol: validation, unix ancillary data,
> shared memory, eventfd, logging, and on top of that you need to deal
> with virtio queues, if possible efficiently.
>
> qemu test has a nice vhost-user testing application vhost-user-bridge,
> which implements most of vhost-user, and virtio.c which implements
> virtqueues manipulation. Based on these two, I tried to make a simple
> library, reusable for tests or development of new vhost-user scenarios.

By "new vhost-user scenarios" does this mean facilitating creation of
vhost user clients by out of tree 3rd parties ?

Unless I'm missing something, the change doesn't actually build any
.so of this code, so only thing that can use it right now is other
QEMU code.

If we want 3rd parties to use this, then it seems to me that LGPLv2+ or
even a BSD like license would be more applicable than GPLv2+. Also we
would need to state what API/ABI stability guarantees we're going to
provide and create a versioned ELF .so.

In general this patch looks like it is something to propose in 2.9,
rather than pushing feature work in post-freeze.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|