qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] New Year's starting over ... bsd-user

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] New Year's starting over ... bsd-user
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:32:51 +0000

Sean Bruno <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm pondering where to start with getting FreeBSD's bsd-user code into
> shape so it could actually be reviewed and accepted now that its sort of
> working again (signal handling fixed finally).

Also don't forget the parallel_cpus changes which were made for enhanced
atomic support. There was also work in fixing up exclusive_start/end
which is used for safe work like tb_flush.

> I almost feel like the existing code should be purged, except that it
> gives a good history (and this seems lazy to me).
>
> As a first pass, I guess, I'd like to at least make i386 user run on
> x86_64.  What would you folks like to see in a first pass?

One thing that bugs me about linux-user is the amount of copy&paste
repetition that goes on for the main run loop. Perhaps with a clean-up
of the unused BSD architectures we could explore how a re-factored
run loop could look with a view to moving to common run-loop code across
both?

Apart from syscall mapping and backend calls to the BSD ABI what
differences are there between the two user-mode implementations?

--
Alex Bennée