qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtual Machine Generation ID

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtual Machine Generation ID
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 19:42:38 +0200

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 05:24:04PM +0100, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 07:01:27 -0800
> Ed Swierk <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > You mean what causes the guest to re-read the vmgenid guid? The
> > vmgenid ACPI table defines a notify method, and when the guest
> > receives the corresponding event, it re-reads the guid. (Also it
> > appears that with Windows Server 2012 at least, if no notify method is
> > defined, as is the case with Xen, the guest just re-reads it on
> > demand.)
> >
> > Wouldn't it be sufficient for the qmp set-vmgenid command to call
> > acpi_ram_update() with the new guid, and acpi_send_event() to notify
> > the guest?
> pls note that acpi_ram_update() updates only memory on qemu side and
> it's not mapped into guest. Updated memory will be re-read by firmware
> when guest reboots.
>
> But with vmgenid, QEMU might want to update guest RAM which
> contains GUID without reboot, and for this it needs to know GPA
> of GUID buffer and only after updating it send ACPI event.

+1 thanks, thanks is what I was trying to say.

> BTW in-place update is racy anyways as OS could be reading it
> at the same time,

That would be up to the applications to use correctly.
E.g.

        check id
        send transaction
        ---> racy

        send transaction
        check id
        ---> not racy

I can't of course answer for it that all applications use the id correctly.
Some of them might decide to accept the risk of a race condition.

> but we can't do anything about it as vmgenid
> spec didn't provide means for atomic update.

I agree it's not up to us to fix.