qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Towards an ivshmem 2.0?

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Towards an ivshmem 2.0?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 14:00:36 +0000

Hi

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 12:44 PM Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Of course, I'm careful with investing much time into expanding the
> >> existing, for Jailhouse possibly sufficient design if there no real
> >> interest in continuing the ivshmem support in QEMU - because of
> >> vhost-pci or other reasons. But if that interest exists, it would be
> >> beneficial for us to have QEMU supporting a compatible version and using
> >> the same guest drivers. Then I would start looking into concrete patches
> >> for it as well.
> >
> > Interest is difficult for me to gauge, not least because alternatives
> > are still being worked on.
>
> I'm considering to suggest this as GSoC project now.

It's better for a student and for the community if the work get accepted in
the end.

So, I think that could be an intersting GSoC (implementing your ivshmem 2
proposal). However, if the qemu community isn't ready to accept a new
ivshmem, and would rather have vhost-pci based solution, I would suggest a
different project (hopefully Wei Wang can help define it and mentor): work
on a vhost-pci using dedicated shared PCI BARs (and kernel support to avoid
extra copy - if I understand the extra copy situation correctly).
--
Marc-André Lureau