qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] iommu emulation

From: Peter Xu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] iommu emulation
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:35:51 +0800

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 08:01:14AM -0500, Jintack Lim wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 10:52 PM, Peter Xu <address@hidden> wrote:
> > (cc qemu-devel and Alex)

> > I see. IIUC you are trying to use an assigned device to replace your
> > old emulated device in L2 guest to see whether performance will drop
> > as well, right? Then at least I can know that you won't need a nested
> > VT-d here (so we should not need a vIOMMU in L2 guest).
>
> That's right.
>

> > In that case, I think we can give it a shot, considering that L1 guest
> > will use vfio-pci for that assigned device as well, and when L2 guest
> > QEMU uses this assigned device, it'll use a static mapping (just to
> > map the whole GPA for L2 guest) there, so even if you are using a
> > kernel driver in L2 guest with your to-be-tested application, we
> > should still be having a static mapping in vIOMMU in L1 guest, which
> > is IMHO fine from performance POV.
> >
> > I cced Alex in case I missed anything here.

Here iiuc you mean that "L1 guest with vIOMMU performs better than
when without vIOMMU", while ...

> > I failed to understand why an vIOMMU could help boost performance. :(
> > Could you provide your command line here so that I can try to
> > reproduce?
>
> Sure. This is the command line to launch L1 VM
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -M q35,accel=kvm,kernel-irqchip=split \
> -m 12G -device intel-iommu,intremap=on,eim=off,caching-mode=on \
> -drive file=/mydata/guest0.img,format=raw --nographic -cpu host \
> -smp 4,sockets=4,cores=1,threads=1 \
> -device vfio-pci,host=08:00.0,id=net0
>
> And this is for L2 VM.
>
> ./qemu-system-x86_64 -M q35,accel=kvm \
> -m 8G \
> -drive file=/vm/l2guest.img,format=raw --nographic -cpu host \
> -device vfio-pci,host=00:03.0,id=net0

... here looks like these are command lines for L1/L2 guest, rather
than L1 guest with/without vIOMMU?

> > Besides, what I mentioned above is just in case you don't know that
> > vIOMMU will drag down the performance in most cases.
> >
> > I think here to be more explicit, the overhead of vIOMMU is different
> > for assigned devices and emulated ones.
> >
> >   (1) For emulated devices, the overhead is when we do the
> >       translation, or say when we do the DMA operation. We need
> >       real-time translation which should drag down the performance.
> >
> >   (2) For assigned devices (our case), the overhead is when we setup
> >       the pages (since we are trapping the setup procedures via CM
> >       bit). However, after it's setup, we should have no much
> >       performance drag when we really do the data transfer (during
> >       DMA) since that'll all be done in the hardware IOMMU (no matter
> >       whether the device is assigned to L1/L2 guest).
> >
> > Now, after I know your use case now (use vIOMMU in L1 guest, don't use
> > vIOMMU in L2 guest, only use assigned devices), I suspect we would
> > have no big problem according to (2).

> >> I was able to boot L2 guest without assigning a network device
> >> successfully. (host iommu was on, L1 iommu was on, and the network
> >> device was assigned to L1)
> >>
> >> Then, I unbound the network device in L1 and bound it to vfio-pci.
> >> When I try to run L2 with the following command, I got an assertion.
> >>
> >> # ./qemu-system-x86_64 -M q35,accel=kvm \
> >> -m 8G \
> >> -drive file=/vm/l2guest.img,format=raw --nographic -cpu host \
> >> -device vfio-pci,host=00:03.0,id=net0
> >>
> >> qemu-system-x86_64: hw/pci/pcie.c:686: pcie_add_capability: Assertion
> >> `prev >= 0x100' failed.
> >> Aborted (core dumped)
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > I don't know whether it'll has anything to do with how vfio-pci works,
> > anyway I cced Alex and the list in case there is quick answer.
> >
> > I'll reproduce this nested case and update when I got anything.
>
> Thanks!

I tried to reproduce this issue with the following 10g network card:

00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit
X540-AT2 (rev 01)

In my case, both L1/L2 guests can boot with the assigned device. I
also did a quick netperf TCP STREAM test, the result is (in case you
are interested):

   L1 guest: 1.12Gbps
   L2 guest: 8.26Gbps

First of all, just to confirm that you were using the same qemu binary
in both host and L1 guest, right?

Then, I *think* above assertion you encountered would fail only if
prev == 0 here, but I still don't quite sure why was that happening.
Btw, could you paste me your "lspci -vvv -s 00:03.0" result in your L1
guest?

Thanks,

-- peterx