qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Performance difference between QEMU 2.2.0 and 2.6.0

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Performance difference between QEMU 2.2.0 and 2.6.0
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 21:42:09 +0100

On 8 March 2017 at 18:17, Wenwen Wang <address@hidden> wrote:
> I just found that there is a significant performance difference between QEMU
> version 2.2.0 and 2.6.0.
>
> Here are the execution times of the benchmark 458.sjeng from SPEC CINT2006
> with test workload using user only emulation from ARM guest to x86-32 host:
>
> qemu-2.2.0: 29 seconds
> qemu-2.6.0: 38 seconds

2.6.0 is now quite old -- it would be interesting to test this on
the current git master.

> Could anyone tell me what this difference comes from or give me any hint?

There are lots of changes between those two releases, and we don't
in general track performance at all, so a regression is not very
surprising to me. If you wanted to try to identify what caused it
you could try a git bisect.

thanks
-- PMM