qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for 2017-03-14
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 09:37:24 +0100

On 14 March 2017 at 09:13, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:02:01AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> The minimum requirements for the new language:
> 1. Does it support the host operating systems that QEMU runs on?
> 2. Does it support the host architectures that QEMU runs on?

Speaking of this, I was thinking that we should introduce
a rule that for any host OS/arch we support we must have
a build machine so we can at least do a compile test.
For instance if you believe configure we support Solaris
and AIX, but I bet they're bit-rotting. The ia64 backend
has to be a strong candidate for being dumped too.
Demanding "system we can test on or we drop support"
would let us more clearly see what we're actually running
on and avoid unnecessarily ruling things out because they
don't support Itanium or AIX...

thanks
-- PMM