qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 1/3] makefile: merge GENERATED_HEADERS & GENERATE

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 1/3] makefile: merge GENERATED_HEADERS & GENERATED_SOURCES variables
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 10:08:29 +0100

Sorry for chiming in late, I had missed this change.

Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> writes:

> From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <address@hidden>
>
> The only functional difference between the GENERATED_HEADERS
> and GENERATED_SOURCES variables is that 'Makefile' has a
> dependancy on GENERATED_HEADERS, causing generated header files
> to be created immediatey at the start of the build process.
> There is no reason why this early creation should be restricted
> to the .h files, and not include .c files too.

Actually, there is.

Any prerequisites of Makefile are made even by make -n.  Restricting
them to the ones make -n absolutely needs is good practice.

Generated headers must be prerequisites of Makefile, because automatic
dependency generation may fail without them.

There is no such reason for generated non-headers.

>                                                Merge both of
> the variables into a single GENERATED_FILES variable to make
> it clear it is for any type of generated file.

I don't hate this quite enough for an outright NAK at this late stage.
I do hate it enough to ask you to think about it once more.